My name is Laura and I am a produce hoarder. I am the reason that my family’s fridge gets so full that the light doesn’t even illuminate those tiny jars somewhere towards the backend. I keep trying to make healthy new recipes that use up the ingredients we already have but nothing seems to tick all the boxes. It can’t be healthy, thrifty and delicious all at once!
… or can it?
Enter fried rice. It’s an all-time favourite, and although it isn’t a new amazing recipe, it still brings a smile to my mother’s face when she gets home to see a much tidier fridge, and a bowl of fried rice on the table.
1 cup of white/brown rice
1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
1/2 an onion
As much of any vegetable as you would like. My favourites are;
-1 chop sum
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup green onion
Any type of protein you would like;
- it’s really up to you
1/4 cup soy
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 teaspoons sriracha
2 cloves grated garlic
1. If you have a rice cooker, get that rice on the boil asap. If you’re using a saucepan like my grandmother did, give it a google to make sure you’re using the right ratio of rice to water. For the best results, rice can be cooked the day before, but if you’re in a pinch like I always am, let the rice sit for ten minutes before frying.
2. Break your egg into a cup or small bowl, and whisk. The mix with a splash of water for a thinner consistency. Put aside.
3.Heat up some oil in a large fry pan or wok. Sesame oil adds an authentic asian flavour, but any oil will do.
4. When the pan is hot, add the garlic and onion. Sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Throw in any hard vegetables like carrots, celery etc.
6. Then the softer ones such as capsicum and zucchini. Let these cook for about 2 minutes.
7. While they’re cooking, mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
8.Push the veggies to the side of the pan, and add a small splash of oil to the space. Then add in your egg, letting it cook like an omelette in the middle of the pan. When it has turned yellow, slice it up with your spatula and mix it in with the veggies.
9. Add in your rice and toss on a high heat with the vegetables until it is all combined.
10. Add in your sauce, toss on a high heat for 4-5 minutes.
11. Serve it up baby!
Fried rice can be changed to fit any type of diet;
Vegan: Ditch the egg, replace with tofu scramble or more veggies!
Low-Carb: Ditch the rice, grate up some cauliflower and use cauliflower rice!
Hate Sriracha: Ditch the Sriracha, try Hoi Sin or sweet chilli for a sweeter flavour!
Love Sriracha: More Sriracha.
Laura is a 21 year old Italian grandmother who likes coffee, going to bed early and snapchat filters. Follow her on instagram @laurajmasia