It ain't easy being sneezy: a soup that will warm the cockles of your heart.
As the weather starts to cool our bodies slowly start to betray us, one sneeze at a time. Why do you do this cruel world, why? We've endured three months of pit-stains and sticky brows for you and your mugginess and what do you give us in return? The fucking sniffles, that's what.
While I may not forgive the seasons for causing me to rub my nose raw, I am able to find the silver lining when feeling shit and sniffly and that is vats of steamy, delicious soup.
This one is a personal favourite and a little weird and wacky (just like us here at Twenty Something Humans). So strap in your tastebuds and keep the tissues handy because this one is bound to blow the snot right out of you.
Spicy tomato and apple soup
What you'll need:
2 tbs of olive oil
2 chopped white onions (if you're feeling sick con a friend into enduring onion eyes)
2 cloves of garlic
2 chopped red apples
1 red chilli (this is what will blow the snot away- the more the better)
1 tbs curry powder
2 tps cumin (but I like to add more because cumin is fkn awsome)
1 tbs cardamon pods
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 cup red lentils
2 cans of tomato
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tbs red wine vinegar
1.2 litres of vegetabe stock
Small bunch of corriander
Sprinkle of brown sugar
Fresh, crusty bread smeared in butter.
How to cook this masterpiece:
1. Heat oil in large saucepan and add onions, garlic and apples. Cook until soft.
2. Add the chilli and the other spices and cook for a few more minutes. Now include the lentils.
3. Cook for a few more minutes and then include all of the liquid items: tinned tomato, paste, vinegar and stock.
4. Let the soup simmer for 35 minutes and keep checking it to make sure it doesn't boil over.
5. Blend soup together and then sprinkle with brown sugar and corriander.
6 Enjoy warm with crusty bread.